There are hundreds of donors and collaborators that have permitted a positive evolution of our main project the “Open Hardware PowerPC Notebook”, permitting to face difficulties of human Environment that changes frequently and as the global shortage, lockdowns, and other socio-political-economical changes. Thanks!
We want to give the opportunity to donors and collaborators to subscribe to our association “Power Progress Community” with the yearly membership for 2022, you can subscribe until 29 May, below all the details.
Power Progress Community mission
- Make the world an happier place for everyone.
- Design Open Hardware which is accessible to the widest possible range of people.
- Facilitate the re-use of dismissed or low-cost hardware by means of open source and free software.
- Encourage people to use open source and free software.
- Adopting the Open Science paradigm that will facilitate a convenient collaboration among all involved subjects, where research data, lab notes and other research results are freely available to anyone as soon as possible and taking advantage of modern communication technologies, letting anyone to redistribute and reuse anything without restrictions, following the rule “as open as possible and as closed as necessary”.
- Feel a protagonist while carrying out activities
- Continous learning experience
- learn how to overcome difficulties
- learn how to find solutions
- learn to accept difficulties and complexity as part of the job
- embrace hope even when it seems there is no way out
- learn how to collaborate with people who agree or disagree with you
- learn how to concentrate your energies towards edifying targets, into something constructive
- Freeing oneself from being used as an object, from being manipulated
- Freeing oneself from conditioning is an uphill path
- Tasty for those who are not afraid to struggle
- Feeling the life growing
- Feel a sweet joy and sense of meaning within ourself.
- A certain amount of rebellion against a situation we didn’t like (closed source, closed hardware, monopolies, surveillance capitalism,etc..)
- The taste in creating what we need
- Passion in openly sharing knowledge about Open Source Software and Open Hardware declination
- RISC and/or PowerPC/Power and/or big endian processors
- Support diversity in CPU architectures
- The ambition to own computers that were designed and inspired by your passions
- Willingness to create what does not exist
- Willingness to make Free and Open Source Software work on future computers
- The faith that something good would come of out of you efforts
- Open Hardware PowerPC Notebook
- bootloader ( u-boot) configuration for Open Hardware PowerPC Notebook
- Patches for PPC64 BE important free software library and GNU/Linux applications and packages ( freedesktop-sdk , golang, docker, etc)
- Education with Free Software in Schools
- Patches free software browser that run on PPC64 BE ( ArcticFox )
- “Django”, a cheap and compact PowerPC motherboard project
- Open Hardware Notebook Chassis
Become a Member of the Power Progress Community
By becoming a member, you will be able to participate to the annual Assembly of Members for revising the association financial balance, you may join internal planning discussions, and may vote when there is an important decision to take.
How the membership fee will be used
- web hosting of our websites – which is around 310€ a year
- plugin for managing the donation campaign that interfaces with PayPal that cost around 125€ a year
- bank and tax bank costs which is around 160€ a year
Variable costs related to our involvement
- association activities such as the switch from closed source software to open source and preferably self-hosted and alternative softwares such as nextcloud, collabora, irc, jitsi, BigBlueButton;
- regenerate old hardware, and support the knowledge and passion transfer for alternative architectures to the younger generations, as well as teaching them how to become accustomed with Linux and programming (example Revivo with Scratch School project ).
Based on what is left, the remaining funds will be used for supporting activities such as:
- buying pieces of hardware or software useful for our projects like the PowerPC laptop
- finance ppc64 big endian patches, u-boot configuration,other software needs
- finance other open hardware designs
- finance open hardware notebook chassis design
- participating to conferences
- printing posters, leaflets, T-Shirts
- support and collaborate with other associations
The yearly membership fee for the year 2022 is € 30.
A discounted membership fee of € 10 is available for students or for people coming from the so called “developing countries”. The list of countries falling into this group is the one as defined by the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme).
More details about the membership process https://www.powerprogress.org/en/membership/
The membership 2022 fee and form should be sent before 29 May 2022
More info about us